Making A Single Coil Pickup

making a single coil pickupIt’s probably a bit premature to put this up, but I’m so excited that it “looks” like a pickup that I’m posting this before I know whether it actually “works” like a pickup! This is the first time I’ve ever tried making a single coil pickup – or any kind of pickup! – so to get this far is worth celebrating.

This is part of the build process for a series of “custom box guitars” that I’m working on – basically a cigar box guitar with a box that looks a bit more like a classic guitar than something cigars came in. On the first one I built – making just a standard square box – I used a piezo pickup that worked quite well. But I wanted to get a normal pickup into the mix. When I mentioned this to my mate Aaron he texted back three words that he knew I wouldn’t be able to resist: Make your own.

So started several hours of research seeing what I could uncover online about how the hell I would actually do this. Because it’s just a three-string guitar I knew I would have to start from raw materials as there weren’t any three-pole bobbins available. Parts were easy enough to get from Stew Mac: some “flatwork” for the tops and bottom of the bobbin, a spool of 42AWG wire, some alnico 5 magnets for the poles, and a pack of the little eyelets for attaching the wire. Actually making the bobbin was challenging as there really isn’t anywhere I’ve found that shows you how – there’s lots of information on people making pickups with pre-drilled flatwork but nothing from scratch. Without a drill press, I drilled holes by hand and managed to get them reasonably well lined up, but they were a little small and required some well place hits with a hammer to sit the magnets in place. Whether this hammering will have affected the magnets I don’t know yet! Next time I think I’ll drill slightly larger holes and then get the magnets to be secure using a dab of superglue.

making a single coil pickupWinding was always going to be the biggest challenge. Again, lots of people use old sewing machines, and I was lucky enough to have one at hand. I attached the bobbin to the end with a piece of heavy-duty double-sided tape, did a few manual wraps, then slowly pressed on the foot-controller to get it spinning… and it worked! I was worried that I might snap the wire – it’s incredibly thin – so was surprised about how sturdy the wire actually was. Of course to do this right I should have had a counter to actually work out how many wraps I’d done (somewhere between 5000-8000 seems to be the go) but without that I had to just eyeball it.

Once I get leads soldered on to it I’ll be able to see how it works – so stay tuned. And in the meantime, here’s a sneak peak of how the Custom Box Guitar project is progressing. There will be a more detailed post about it once I’m finished.

custom box guitar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: