27 Songs About Dogs
Here’s a quick one off the back of the “Songs About Cats” list from a couple of months back. What can I say? 27 songs about dogs, influenced by dogs, inspired by dogs. I know there are heaps more, but I figured I’d stop at 27 for a reason I still don’t understand. I do think this is a better collection than the cat one in terms of the quality of songs, but then I guess I am more of a dog person…
- I Love My Dog by Cat Stevens
A cat and a dog – you can’t ask for more.
- Walking the Dog by Rufus Thomas/The Rolling Stones
The original is cool, but the Stones version is my favourite.
- Martha My Dear by The Beatles
About Paul McCarney’s Old English Sheepdog, Martha.
- Cracker Jack by Dolly Parton
Aw, how sweet. Good ‘ol Cracker Jack…
- Gypsy, Joe and Me by Dolly Parton
Dolly does dogs part 2
- I Wanna Be Your Dog by The Stooges
Literally or figuratively? Only Iggy knows!
- Sometimes I Don’t Mind by Suicide Machines
There’s even an appearance from Chewy the dog barking at the end.
- My Dog and Me by John Hyatt
Like it says on the tin…
- Black Eyed Dog by Nick Drake
Depressing (as in “the black dog), or canine? You decide.
- Hound Dog by Elvis Presley
Elvis getting in on the dog scene early.
- Old Blue by The Byrds
An old folk song covered by heaps of people.
- Shannon by Henry Gross
Apparently about Beach Boy Carl Wilson’s Irish Setter who was lost after being swept out to sea.
- Old Shep by Elvis Presley
Originally recorded in 1933 by Red Foley about his German Shepherd, Hoover, who was poisoned.
- Black Dog by Led Zeppelin
Folklore says it’s about a black dog that wandered by the studio one day.
- Man of the Hour by Norah Jones
About her poodle, Ralph.
- Atomic Dog by George Clinton
Funk and dogs – yep, that’s a winner.
- Old King by Neil Young
About Young’s beloved hound dog appropriately named Elvis.
- Dogs Are Everywhere by Pulp
Even better is the canine link to the lead singer’s surname!
- Move It On Over by Hank Williams
Not just about dogs, but life in the doghouse!
- All That I’ve Got by The Used
Inspired by McCracken’s dog, David Bowie, who was hit by a truck during a recording session.
- Maga Dog by Peter Tosh/The Wailers
A “maga dog” is a skinny dog that can be a bit vicious
- Lou Dog by Sublime
Brad Nowell’s dalmation featured often in their music.
- Seamus by Pink Floyd
Seamus was Steve Marriott’s dog, and was used to do some “howling” on this track.
- The Puppy Song by Harry Nillson
Apparently written at the request of Paul McCartney.
- I Love My Dog by Sublime
Another great track from Brad Nowell about Lou, his dalmation.
- Life Goes On by Long Beach Dub Allstars
Yep, Lou dog gets another run: this was written as a tribute to Nowell and Lou Dog after his death.